I've been thinking about this ever since Night of the Doctor proved me right that John Hurt's Doctor was the one that fought in the Time War - a new regeneration between 8 & 9 as we regard them.
I totally agree that there is no need to re-number them all as he doesn't think of that regeneration as being the Doctor BUT there is one thing that has not been resolved:
1. William Hartnell becomes
2. Patrick Troughton becomes
3. Jon Pertwee becomes
4. Tom Baker (stick with me, I'm not just randomly naming them!) becomes
5. Peter Davison becomes
6. Colin Baker becomes
7. Sylvester McCoy regenerates into
8. Paul McGann regenerates into
9. John Hurt regenerates into
10. Christopher Ecclestone regenerates into
11. David Tennant regenerates into
12. His own hand/David Tennant (see where I'm going?)
13. Matt Smith will regenerate into
Peter Capaldi, who will technically be the fourteenth regeneration!!!
Now, I'm not suggesting that thirteen is set in stone, after all the Master broke it, and maybe the limit was arbitrarily applied by the Time Lord Council - but nobody has mentioned it. Maybe it will be addressed at Christmas- I sincerely hope so because to me it's a gaping hole that Moffat would normally address and I will be disappointed if he ignores it completely.
Any thoughts--Cut-- Click here for more --Cut--